It’s happened to all of us… that big project deadline is looming and you’ve got a list of work that needs to get done. But it’s just not working for you. Maybe you’re lacking focus, or mental energy. Maybe you get started only to find distractions everywhere.
We all do it. Procrastination is a common affliction. Fortunately, there are some simple ways to beat it and get the job done on time! Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
• Find Your Focus – The best way to beat procrastination is to know your peak work times. Working on a project when you’re naturally most productive and focused is the best way to get your work done. ,Avoid setting meetings and stay away from distractions during your peak productive periods. Stay in focus and go with the flow to get the job done!
• Avoid Multitasking – It’s a myth! You can’t do two things at once well. Turning your brain on and off of a task is mentally exhausting. The best approach is to break complex tasks into simple manageable steps. Pick one and work on it until it’s complete without interruptions or distractions. Focus on each small task instead of the overall project.
• Practice Discipline and Develop Routines – Sometimes your workload can seem overwhelming, especially with a big deadline on the horizon. To avoid procrastination, develop healthy routines and practice discipline. Manage your time and don’t forget to delegate. When you do delegate, make time to follow up!
• Make Boring Tasks Fun! – When you’re creative, sometimes simple tasks can seem boring. Unfortunately, they need to get done. Consider making it a game. Set a time limit for each task and then try to beat it. When you do, give yourself a reward.
• Pick Your Top Three Priorities Each Morning – Choose your top three tasks every morning and do them first. By making your top three tasks a priority, you’ll get them done everyday.
Procrastination can be beaten! Start with these tips and add a little time management and you’ll eliminate procrastination from your work day. Delegate whenever possible. Prioritize your top three tasks and break big jobs down into smaller manageable pieces and focus. In the end, you’ll find yourself more productive than you’ve ever been.